Today’s recipe is Chane ka Saag, It is very healthy and seasonal dish. Chane ka saag are the tender greens of chickpea plant with small feathery leaves. Some leafy vegetable are available in only winters and you can make various recipes like chickpea greens or Chane ka saag. It is a winter delicacy and usually made in the northern parts of India.
The recipe of chane ka saag or any saag based recipes take time. Plucking the greens, rinsing them, chopping and then cooking them takes a lot of time. However, if you want to make saag, then you do have to spend some time in prepping them. But it’s worth the effort as the final dish is not only delicious but very healthy also.
I make chane ka saag in a similar way to the way I make sarson ka saag. You can also serve it with chapatis or phulkas.
Prep Time- 25 mins
Cook Time- 25 mins
Cousin- main course
Serve – 2 person
1 bunch chane ka saag clean and washed
2-3 garlic cloves
2-3 chpped green chilli
1 medium onion (optional)
1 tspn chopped ginger
½ turmeric powder
½ red chilli powder
Salt to taste
1 tspn Mustard oil
1 pinch hing (optional)
- Firstly pluck the tender stems from the saag. Do not use the hard or dense stems. Collect the tender small stem in pan or large bowl.
- Now add water in the pan or bowl and let the chane ka saag be immersed in the water for 2 to 3 minutes. Doing this helps to get rid of the mud or dust on the saag as these settle down in the water.
- Drain all the water. Again pour water in the bowl or pan.
- Gently swirl the saag with your hands an
- Now drain all the water very well from the saag. Chop the saag.
- Take a cooker add chane ka saag and cook for 2-3 whistle.
- When the saag mixture has become warm or cooled down, take it in a mixer-grinder jar or blender. You can also blend directly in the cooker with a hand held electric blender.
- Blend to a smooth consistency. Keep saag aside.
Tempering Chane Ka Saag-
- Heat 1 tea spoon mustard oil in a pan or kadai. Add chopped green chilli, and 1 pinch of hing sauté well
- Stir till the green chilies change color, add ginger and garlic and saute Then add finely chopped onions.
- Sauté onions till light brown or golden. add the saag paste.
- Mix very well and simmer chane ka saag for 3 to 4 minutes or till it becomes dry.
- While simmering do stir often as the saag splutters. Later switch off the flame.
- Add butter and Serve chane ka saag with makki ki roti or bajre ki roti or chapatis or phulkas.