Dum Handi paneer is a delicious and creamy gravy cooked in a handi. A handi is a type of a pot used in Indian cooking which has a shallow depth and a wide bottom. If you do not have a handi, then you can still make paneer handi in a pan or a kadai or wok without dum.
Here you find Dum Paneer handi recipe with step by step photos and video.
Video recipe of Dum Handi paneer
The gravy in this handi paneer recipe is made with a base of cashews, onions and tomatoes. I have used of fresh malai and you can also use fresh cream instead of malai.
Paneer handi recipe is very simple and easy to make.
There are many Indian recipes made in both handi and kadai and are named after the kind of pan used.
This handi paneer is best served hot or warm with tandoori rotis or plain naan or butter naan or parathas or rotis or cumin rice or biryani rice. It can also be had with plain steamed rice.
Preparation Time- 10 min.
Cooking time- 15 min.
Course- main course
Cousin- North Indian
Serving- 4 person
Paneer – 200 gram
2 chopped onion
1 finaly chopped onion
4 pieces of almonds or cashew
1 small pod garlic
Julian’s of ginger
Ginger 1 tbsp.
2 green cardamom
2-3 red chilli
1 bay leaf
3 tspn oil (mustard or any other cooking oil)
½ tspn haldi powder
1 tspn dhaniya powder
½ tspn sabji masala
½ tspn garam masala
2 tbspn kasoori methi
Chopped dhaniya patti
2-3 green chilli
Fresh cream or malai
Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a kadai. Keep the heat to a low.
- Then add 1 small tej patta, ½ jeers, 2-3 cloves, 2 green cardamoms and 2 whole red chilli. ginger and 3-4 garlic clove.
- Fry the spices for some seconds till they become aromatic.
- Then add 2 chopped onions. Mix and begin to saute onions on a low to medium heat stirring often.
- First the onions will turn translucent. Continue to saute them. For quick cooking of onions add chopped tomato. Saute till the onions and tomato turn golden. Keep aside for cool it.
- Now add onions mixture in grinder and make fine paste.
- Now heat a heavy bottom handi on flame and add 1 tspn oil.
- Add 2 tspn dhaniya, ½ tspn haldi, ½ tspn Kashmiri red chilli powder, ½ tspn sabji masala and mix.
- Now add salt to taste and mix.
- Add green chilli, finally chopped onion and garlic pod.
- Now add ready onion mixture and mix.
- Add dhaniya and cream or malai, kasoori methi and cover for 5 min.
- After 5 min. open and saute the masala till you see oil releasing from the sides.
- Now add paneer cubes and mix well.
- Add half cup of water for gravy, you can add more water for consistency of gravy as per need.
- Now cover and seal with dough properly and simmer the gravy for 6 to 7 minutes on medium-low heat. After 7-8 min gravy is done switch off flame.
- Garnish with ginger Julian’s and coriander leaves and serve.
- Serve paneer handi hot or warm with naan or tandoori roti or phulka or plain paratha or lachha paratha or pudina paratha or butter naan or steamed rice or jeera rice.
My latest Post